We speak with Nia Davies of Nia Faraway about launching a new wellness brand and what it means to be sustainable. Nia is a Londoner, working in fintech and running her own startup, a wellbeing brand that is set to launch at the end of 2018.
1. You’re about to launch your brand, Yugenial. Could you tell us a bit more about it and how you came up with the concept?
Yes it will hopefully be going live at the end of the year. It’s a unisex wellness brand that I started after a solo trip around Indonesia last year. I want to create a range of holistic wellness products that marry ancient practices with modern science, in an ethical and sustainable way.
2. Sustainability is a word that gets thrown around a lot these days by brands. What makes Yugenial sustainable?
The manufacturers I work with in Dorset operate a ‘Green Policy’ meaning that effect on the environment is considered at every step of the process – from having Skype meetings instead of driving to and fro, to choosing biodegradable or recyclable materials for packaging, over things like plastics.
3. You have a really interesting portfolio career. Could you tell us about your path and how you managed to get to where you are today?
I studied medical sciences at university and intercalated in Gastroenterology but didn’t feel that a clinical career was for me. After that I did some work in FinTech but had always been interested in the startup space, especially in London.
4. What are your favourite ways to sweat or work out?
I love reformer pilates or just listening to some music on the stair master.
5. How do you maintain a sustainable lifestyle, from the sense of keeping a balance?
I always block out time for myself to make sure I have at least one free evening a week no matter what
6. What sort of sustainable or eco-friendly habits do you have in your life?
I love walking, try to recycle and I buy eco-friendly home / cleaning products. I usually get these from Whole Foods.
You can read out more about Nia and the development of Yugenial here: https://niafaraway.com/yugenial/